If I’m honest, I don’t really eat much steak so I was heavily reliant on Meg to come up with a recipe for the diced steak that we had. Whilst she came up with a brilliant idea, as she was at work, it was up to me to create it and if I’m honest, I think I pulled it off well, as I’ve probably said in the main post. Furthermore, I honestly believe that this is one of the best slow cooker meals we’ve done. We got our inspiration from this recipe here.
- 400g diced steak
- One onion
- Handful of mushrooms
- 55g butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp peppercorns
- 300ml stock
- 150 ml milk
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and stir to make a roux.
- Slowly add the stock, stiring as you go.
- Crush the peppercorns and add to the sauce.
- Slowly add the milk and continue to stir.
- Dice the onion and slice the mushrooms.
- Place in the slow cooker dish or in a pan on the hob with the steak.
- Cook the steak until starting to brown.
- Place back into the slow cooker, add the sauce and cook for 6 hours on low.
Unlike Aaron (Meg’s here now) I am an absolute lover of steak and peppercorn sauce is my favourite accompaniment to have with a steak dinner. When Aaron found this out after I returned from work he was slightly nervous. But this recipe has cracked and tastes just like a restaurant ! So if peppercorn sauce is one of your favourites then I would highly recommend giving this dish ago. We had this with roast potatoes, as they are one of my loves at the moment, but it would also be great with baby potatoes, or chips!