I think it would be safe to say that we were both impressed with the chilli sauce that we created for these drumsticks. We also understand that you can quite easily pick up chilli sauce, but when you can make a sauce this quickly and simply it’s just got to done! There is the added bonus that by doing it homemade you are in full control of how hot you have have it and can even do a couple of different varieties if catering to different taste preferences. The drumsticks were cooked in the slow cooker first and this helped to marinade the chicken before the chargrilled flavour was added on the barbecue.
- Six chicken drumsticks
- Two tomatoes
- One birds eye chilli
- Sprinkle garlic powder
- Sprinkle vinegar
- Chop the tomatoes into small chunks and finely chop the chilli and garlic.
- Combine the tomatoes, chilli, garlic and pepper in a pan and heat through.
- As the ingredients are cooking, mash the tomatoes.
- Once all tomato has started to turn more into a liquid state, add a little water and stir through.
- Add salt and sugar.
- Continue to stir. If the sauce starts to thicken up, add a little more water to loosen.
- In total the sauce was cooked for about five minutes and then left to cool.
- Rub the sauce onto each drumstick and individually wrap in foil.
- Place all drumsticks in slow cooker for two hours on high.
- Take out of the foil and place on barbecue, ensuring the chicken is properly reheated.
We did our chilli sauce the night before so that it was one less thing to worry about on the day of the barbecue and the chicken was cooked in the slow cooker in the morning and left to cool before being placed on the barbecue to re heat in the afternoon. This was mostly down to having a million things to do and getting things done as when we could. We aren’t often sensible on the blogs but please be careful when cooking or re heating chicken as a trip to the hospital can really ruin a good barbecue. On that cheerful note we will leave our chilli sauce with you although we’re sure it’s one that we will come back to at some point in the future!