Before all of our exciting feasts begin for the summer, we have a little meal idea for you. If we’re being honest we had no idea what to have for lunch, so thought we would give fish cakes a go, and of course share it with you. We served this dish with some spicy wedges which we cooked in a different way to how we usually would. So let’s crack on and fish these cakes up!
Ingredients for 6 fish cakes
- 2 fillets of fish
- 300g of potatoes
- 150ml of water
- 150ml of milk
- 2 tbs of parsley
- 1 tsp of chilli powder
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 2 heaped tsp of philidelphia
- Flour for coating
- Peel and chop the potatoes, place in a saucepan and boil until soft.
- Whilst the potatoes are cooking, in a sauce pan add the milk and water and 1 tbs of parsley, some salt and pepper and the fish.
- Let the fish boil in the mixture until cooked, roughly 10 minutes.
- When the potatoes are soft, drain the water and put the pan back on the hob again for a few minutes so that the potatoes dry out.
- Drain the fish and add to the potatoes.
- Mash all together and add the remaining parsley, salt and pepper, chilli and paprika.
- Gather the ingredients together and make into fish cakes.
- Coat the fish cakes in flour and fry in each side for 2-3 minutes.
- Add to a baking tray and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
For the wedges, we used a different approach. This is only because Aaron suggested spicy wedges after I had start two jacket potatoes. But anyway.
For the wedges we cooked 2 jacket potatoes in the microwave for 10 minutes (until cooked through). Once cooked the potatoes where cut into wedges and then seasoned. We used, fajita seasoning, chilli powder and paprika but it’s up for creative interpretation.
This worked as a quick and simple lunch but would work really well as a dinner idea also. To further develop the recipe, the fishcakes could be coated in breadcrumbs; an idea we may explore in the future! We have another couple of quick meal ideas to bring you over the next week before we start on our BBQ adventure which we are both excited about. As a further heads up it’s my birthday this month and I’m sure Meg will prob put together a birthday post for me at some point!! Until then though, happy fish caking!!