This is my absolute favourite quick lunch at the moment and so when Meg and I decided on doing a slow cooker lunch post this was a must. I’ve done this a few times at work in the oven but now I’ve done this in the slow cooker, I can’t envisage doing it any other way. In it’s most basic form it requires three ingredients but you can build it up from there as I have done here.
- Peppers (one each, two each, use up what you’ve got, you choose)
- Rice (I always do too much, who doesn’t!!)
- One tin of chopped tomatoes or carton of passata (Again, use up what you’ve got)
- One garlic clove
- One onion
- One handful of mushrooms
- One tsp chilli powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
I will start with an apology that I’m naff at cooking rice!!
- Start cooking the rice in a pan. I think the official guidelines is two cups water to one cook rice. I lob the rice in with enough water to cover. (Sorry again!)
- Whilst the rice is cooking, roughly chop the garlic, onion and mushroom and place in a pan with the tomatoes. Season
- Allow to simmer.
- Once the rice is cooked, lob it in a sieve to get rid of the water. (I’m sure you should run hot water over it or something).
- Place the rice into the pan with the other ingredients and cook for a few minutes.
- Chop the top off the pepper and remove the innards.
- Place the rice and other ingredients into the pepper.
- Place the peppers into the slow cooker and cover the bottom with water.
- If you want to be fancy put the lids back on.
- Cook on high for two hours.
Please don’t hunt me down for my apparent lack of knowledge when it comes to cooking rice, I’m still learning though so any advice is greatly appreciated. This, as you can see, is so simple to prep and is the perfect lunch time treat and one I’ll have again and again. Why not give a go and see for yourself!!