This is one of my favourite Slimming World recipes that I came across! I never thought that using coke in chicken would work but it really does. If you follow Slimming World this recipe is totally free and can be put with a number of different sides. My favourite to put it with is rice, however it is great with boiled baby potatoes and a bit of salad. The only down side to the recipe is that is takes a while to reduce down, but it is so worth the wait. This is a little bit different to the original recipe, as I use less chicken and more veg which bulks it out and you can still manage to get about 4 portions from the recipe.
- 2 chicken breasts
- Half a carton of pasatta
- Half a broccoli
- Third of a bag of spinach (or 2 frozen cubes)
- 1 Onion
- Handful of mushrooms
- 1 pepper
- 2 tbs of soy sauce
- 1 tbs of fresh or dried basil
- 1 can of diet coke
- 200ml of chicken stock
- 1tsp of paprika
- Cut the chicken and start frying it off in a saucepan.
- Whilst the chicken is frying off prepare all of the vegetables and then add to the saucepan and fry off for a few minutes.
- Add the paprika and the herbs and stir to cook those off a bit.
- Add the pasatta, soy sauce, diet coke and the stock, giving it a big big stir so all of the ingredients are mixed together.
- Leave to simmer for 30 – 45 minutes, so the sauce has thickened and reduced down and serve with which ever side you like.
This would be also great to chuck in the slow cooker and forget about. With this recipe I got 4 portions out of it, so if you’re like us and freeze leftovers there is plenty to do so with. One thing I did learn from Slimming World is that more veg is better and I use this within all of our meals as it bulks the meals out, so you save the meat you have which is one of the most expensive things on a food shop.