I have always found it interesting to see people’s reactions when you say that you are going to be cooking with cola but with this recipe the liquid from the cola reduces down to leave a sweet and sticky barbecue style sauce. This recipe is so simple that it consists of five steps, four key ingredients, three seasoning ingredients, (wishing I hadn’t started this countdown now!!) it serves two (all I had!) and uses one pan!! (Phew!!)
- Two pork steaks
- Approx. 500ml cola
- One handful of mushrooms
- Nine tablespoons ketchup
- Two cloves of garlic
- 1tsp dried chilli
- Salt and pepper
- Chop the pork steaks into strips, the mushrooms into slices and roughly chop the garlic.
- Place the pork, mushrooms, garlic and chilli into a large pan (I used the wok) along with the ketchup (cooking the ingredients in ketchup means that oil isn’t needed) and season to taste.
- Cook the ingredients on a high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the cola and allow too simmer on a low heat for approx. 30-40 minutes.
- Once the liquid has reduced and a sticky sauce appeared take off the heat and serve with rice.
It really is as simple as five easy steps to enjoy this delicious recipe. As said, this sauce can be used with chicken or as a marinade for other meats. If you would prefer to be left with a bit more of a sauce then just reduce the cooking time and allow the cola to reduce down to your preferred consistency although I would recommend allow it to reduce fully. Why not give it a go and see how delicious it is for yourself.